Friday, July 02, 2010

Stream powered refrigerator.

I posted this picture yesterday to be sure to have a blog up for the day since I hadn't officially decided to do a daily blog, but wanted something there in case I did. I didn't have time to write anything yesterday, but the requirement is to POST a blog each day, and it was posted! Anyway, to explain the picture...
I might have posted this one before but this is my friend's refrigerator. She lives in New Hazelton, B.C. on a lot of acreage with a driveway that is about a mile long. They have no electricity. Their house runs on 9 12-volt car batteries which they charge with a gas-powered generator once a month. The fridge is kept cold from the spring below it. In the summer you can keep veggies, mayo, butter, lunch meat and such in there. In the winter you can keep lots more because it is much colder. They keep all their drinks (beer, soda, and milk) in the stream closer to the house, floating in mesh bags tied to a stake. So here's to innovation and a way of life that is more unusual in this day and age. I sometimes miss the simplicity of life the way it was before technology took over and I'm sure I've saved this picture because of that.

No comments: