Monday, January 10, 2011

Getting out more.







The road to a friend's house is never long.
Danish Proverb

My friend, Becky, gave me a wooden plaque with that message on it a few years back. I have it hanging on the wall. It took me a long time to realize that it should also include me. In other words....why did I always expect that everyone should come to my house?

This is something I have really had to work on this past two years. When I joined the "101 in 1001 Mission", it was one of my goals to stop being such a hermit. I made it a goal to go to my friends's houses more often, instead of always expecting them to come to my house. I also made it a goal to get out more and do things and go places. It is so easy for me to be a hermit and shut myself away from the world. I love my home and being in it and I have to work to leave it on the days when I don't work.

I have made good progress on this goal. Becky and I have made many trips in the last year and have had some really nice times going new places and seeing new things. I have also gone to visit more people and not copped out on going to functions. It's not been easy, but it has been fun. I am not a person who really likes crowds and big parties or gatherings. I have been making myself go to some of these things and have actually had fun.

I am going to continue to try and get out more and spend more time with some of the people I hardly ever see because of my swing-shift schedule. I can actually go places in the mornings and still go to work in the afternoon. haha. It's a work in progress, but I am making progress. Which reminds me...I really need to go check out my goals and see how I'm doing. The challenge ends this September and I think I have a LOT of reading to do.

No comments: