Saturday, February 06, 2010

How to tie a tie.

Years ago I bought a cute little St. Patrick's Day tie to wear to work so I would be wearing something green. After all, I do have Irish in me and it's a fun little holiday. I realized when I got up in the morning to get dressed that I had no idea how to tie a tie. I really didn't want to wake up my step-dad just to ask him so I went online and put it in the search engine. "How to tie a tie". I was amazed at how many sites there were to teach me this handy little skill. Try it yourself. Dozens of sites, some with video, some with step-by-step pictures and some that give you all kinds of information about ties, like this one.

I got curious about the history of ties and so I put that in the search engine and found out there are several different opinions out there about exactly WHEN ties came into being. I guess it depends on what you define as a tie. In this article they go back 2000 years. There are some pretty interesting facts on that particular site if you click on all the little links they provide for you.
There are some who say they only go back a little over a hundred years, but I think think they are being literal and only considering the modern necktie in their data. Even Wikipedia had a pretty good article about the history of ties although theirs also only covers the traditional idea of a necktie and not neck wear in general. Their article is pretty interesting, though and covers a variety of issues concerning ties, such as safety, and gives a little insight into the use of alternate forms of ties, such as clip-on styles.

I, myself, have always wanted to make bowties. I don't necessarily want to make the kind you tie yourself (instructions for tying a bowtie are also found on the web) but rather I would like to make the clip-on style bowties. I don't know why. It just sounds like it would be fun to me. I think I will put that on my agenda for my 101 things. I need to replace a couple of those goals anyway because they became obsolete before I could complete them.

So there you have it. Theme based writing. Go look up some history.

No comments: