Friday, February 12, 2010

Ties

I forgot to post a blog yesterday. It was a busy day for me and then I went to David's in the evening. My plan was to write it when I got back home, but I forgot. It's ok, really. I'm not in this for prizes or recognition anyway. I just like the challenge of writing everyday. If I join the monthly challenge I have more incentive and the daily writing is good for me even when I don't really have anything to say. It's not important to me that it gets read, although I do sincerely appreciate my regular readers and occasional comments.

Yesterday I spent most of the day putting my kitchen back together and figuring out things that have been on the back burner. I finally remembered to phone Comcast and have them come out to look at my phone. The repairman came bright and early in the morning. After some trouble shooting he determined that the problem was with the wiring running to the jack in the living room. He just disconnected that wiring and now the phone is clear as a bell and no issues. I can rewire it later this summer or if I don't feel like it, Comcast will do it for 21 dollars. While I'm at it, I will also have one run into the garage so we can have one of our four handsets out there. It is nice to have a house phone again.

Once he left I started rearranging some things in the kitchen. I really have no place for bags of chips, cookies and seaweed or boxes of crackers and snacky things. While I personally do not use chips, crackers and cookies much, Jeren does. He packs a lunch daily which usually consists of a sandwich and bag of chips. When he gets home from work he likes to snack. I like seaweed and buy it in the value packages which are much like a chip bag. I just don't have enough cupboard space. I bought two pantries, but I'm using the one for the soap and stuff for the washer and the other one holds the bird stuff and miscellaneous household items like light bulbs, candles, extension cords and flashlights. So I'm rearranging things to be able to use the "soap" pantry for boxed and bagged snacky items.

One thing that has bothered me for a long time is the drawer on my dryer's pedestal. When I bought my washer and dryer I got coupons to get a free sliding shelf to use with the drawer in the pedestal. I sent away for them and when they came I tried to use them both, but the dryer one won't fit. I finally got around to figuring out why. It's simple. They used the wrong rails for the drawer slide so it doesn't fit up into the little recess like it should which makes the drawer ride too high. If I could use the shelf it would help me with that aforementioned rearranging of items so I want it fixed.

I called my local Maytag person (where I bought the set), figuring I could just exchange the wrong rails for the right ones. After all, I'm not the one who put them together. The one that is wrong was a store model that they gave me because the one pedestal came damaged, so they ran back to the store and brought me the already assembled one. They are who assembled it incorrectly in the first place. I didn't think it would be a big deal. I'm not just getting parts. I'm exchanging incorrect parts for correct parts.

My warranty is, of course, expired. This, however, is not a warranty issue. This is not a part that has broken and needs repair. This is a part that was INCORRECTLY installed at the shop. Because it was a shop model I am sure it didn't matter that it was the incorrect rail. After all, no one is going to use it and they didn't have a need to use the shelf.
I explained all that to them, but they didn't want to hear it. Never mind the recording on their phone says they want to keep their customers "for life". I haven't pointed that out to them, yet.

I might have to take myself down to the store and explain that to them with parts in hand. I don't think I am going to take no for an answer on this issue. I understand that it's been more than a year and I understand that it's not under warranty. I also know that the parts that are on it (the incorrect rails) can still be used. They are not damaged in any way and work fine to slide the drawer in and out. They simply do not fit the cut out that allows the drawer to drop low enough to hold the shelf. They are not the same width as the correct ones and the tab that needs to drop into the cutout is in the wrong place. The screw leaves no room for adjustment, so I cannot even adjust it to the right spot. I just want to EXCHANGE them for the correct part.

I am going to call Maytag today and try to see what they can do for me but it annoys me that a business that "wants to keep me coming back for life" really doesn't when it come to customer satisfaction.

I also finally sat down to figure out just what is going on with my old laptop's screen. I realized yesterday after hooking it up to an external monitor and "cloning" the display onto the laptop that there is a picture there. It actually came up and stayed on for almost five minutes when I messed with the settings. Unfortunately I didn't write down my steps so I'm not sure which step brought it to life and I've been unable to duplicate it, although I can clearly see the screen under the darkness. I've been doing some reading about possible issues and will probably try to take it apart later today and see if it is the inverter or the backlight or just some loose wiring. Since it displayed fine for that almost five minutes, I'm leaning toward it being loose wiring. There is a little area of the lid that is "coming apart". By that I mean there is a separation and the screw is stripped and I cannot tighten it. Maybe it has pinched a wire. I will check it out later today or maybe tomorrow. We will see how my day goes. I still have a lot of other things to do, including thinking of and writing another blog, since this is really "yesterday's blog." haha.

So yesterday was basically tying up a bunch of loose ends and moving myself closer to my goal of having "free time". That's about the only way I can relate this to ties.
Going to go get busy now.

No comments: