Friday, February 05, 2010

Shoe ties, don't bother me.

Remember that old song? Well, it actually said, "Shoo flies, don't bother me..." but you do remember it, don't you? I have changed it to shoe ties because my shoe ties drive me bonkers. Why is it that shoe laces have become so long? Why can't they just be the right length like they used to be? I find it to be very annoying because I like to use the laces that come with the shoes, since they usually match the shoes.
I do realize that part of the problem is that I really like skate shoes. They are very comfortable on my feet and easy to wear. I have realized that the other part of the problem is the young people (like my kids) who lace their shoes in such a way that they don't tie them at all. They are laced up and the ends are somewhere inside I think. I don't know because I haven't examined them all that closely, but the object is to have a shoe that slips on your foot even if it is supposed to tie. That would never work for me because I need the support of my shoe being firmly tied to my foot. They should enclose alternate length matching shoe laces with each pair of shoes. Maybe I should lobby the industry with this idea.

As you can see by this picture even if I tie them with extremely long bows, the end still hangs over the edge of my shoes.


This means that as I go about my day I will eventually step on this little dangling end and untie my shoe with my other foot. The only way I can prevent this is to double-tie my shoes, which is also annoying. I'm not a toddler. I hate double-tying because it is annoying when I have to untie them to put them on the next day.

I just want my laces to be exactly the right size to tie them in a bow with the ends dangling peacefully above the floor. Is that too much to ask?

No comments: