Saturday, April 03, 2010

Big trees.

The theme for this month is big. These are the trunks of the BIG Douglas fir trees that reside in my side/back yard. I love these trees and I just wish the back area of the yard was really as nice as this makes it look, but I still have a lot of work to do back there. The area behind them is where I had Glen bulldoze to move all the debris to the very back, up against the fence. Included in that debris is a blue Volkswagen body. That blue Volkswagen used to belong to my mom many moons ago. If you look really closely you can see just a bit of it sticking out by the one tree. (It is the far right tree in the bottom picture and the left tree in the second picture and you can barely see the blue about a third of the way up.)
I want to make this whole area a natural area for the birds and such, with paths and native plants. I'm hoping to get it at least half done this summer.

I was hoping at one time to keep the Volkswagen body. When the boys were little they used to love to play in it and I had an idea to put it up on a wooden platform and keep it for a play area for the grandkids, using a wooden box for a seat instead of the seats. It turned out that is was in rough shape, though, by the time I uncovered it. Brambles and such had grown over it in the years when I was working so much I didn't have time for that part of the yard. It got pretty rusty and parts of it were unsafe, which is why I had Glen bulldoze it into the hill of debris. I will just have it hauled, instead, and maybe I can build a wooden "car" or get a boat to put back there in the nature area. I just think it would be nice to have a little something back there for children. I remember as a child loving to sit in my Grandpa's model A that was up on blocks in Grandma's back yard. It was a nice place to pretend or have a little solitude.
The wind has been fierce the last few days but my huge trees are taking it well and hopefully they will, yet, for years to come. I can't wait to make that a little nature sanctuary back there and hope to have a nice spot back there where I can sit and relax, maybe read a book or lie in a hammock and take a nap.







No comments: