Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Mementos

It used to be hard for me to pick and choose which pieces of artwork to save among those my children brought home from school. I have a lot of the pieces I consider to be their best. I probably have way more than most people and some of their actual school work, too. If you must know, I even have some of my school work and' while I'm confessing, I might as well tell you I have some of my mom's best school work, too. That could be another whole blog if I take some pictures. Good idea!

While cleaning out the attic after re-roofing the garage I found a box of Christmas time artwork that I had saved. I brought it down and went through it. It's still hard for me to throw things like that out, but I threw away the pieces that were stained, torn or otherwise damaged and almost all of the pieces that had no name. I had to save a few because they are favorites of mine. I always thought someday I would do the walls of a playroom with the children's art. I hung a few pieces on the door this year for Christmas. I will take pictures of those before I take them down.

This is one of the pieces I decided to throw away. Even after I took the garbage out I still wanted to go retrieve it, but I let it go. It is a tissue paper wreath made from red and green tissue paper and a hanger. I think it was made by Keri. I had to take a picture of it because that is the only way I could bring myself to part with it. So here you go. A picture of a once beautiful Christmas wreath that is now just a memory.

I'm not a hoarder. Really. Just a bit of a sentimental packrat.


2 comments:

Tui Snider said...

Boy, do I understand! Great idea about taking a photo of that tissue paper wreath in order to let it go.

My criteria for letting go sometimes is if I don't know enough of the story behind something to keep it.

If I have enough story though, then seeing the object triggers a whole little mental scenario. It's like a direct line to specific time and place.

I've kept a lot of my step-daughter's drawings, too.

The Invisible Mo said...

Yes, you understand totally. Some people really don't. It makes it a little more difficult to overcome packrat tendencies.